The first keynote of MMS 2011 was pretty interesting. Specific points from the keynote include the following items:
- System Center Advisor announced: Azure service previously code-named “Project Atlanta” uses the OpsMgr Agent to return configuration and make recommendations for changes to the configuration. This application was demonstrated during the keynote showing how a hotfix would be relevant for the servers and what has changed in the environment. Licensing – if you have software assurance on Windows Server you are licensed to use this on the server (or Exchange software assurance for Exchange servers). Beta currently available.
- The next version of Opalis Integration Server is officially named System Center Orchestrator 2012.
- SCVMM 2012 beta announced.
- System Center 2012 officially announcement: Every product in the (System Center) portfolio will have new revisions in the next year.
Other items of note:
- Defining the Hyper-V Cloud: Windows Server Hyper-V, Microsoft System Center.
- Private cloud at MMS: The hands on labs (1,600 virtuals are provisioned in less than 10 minutes).
- Target stores case study video: Running Hyper-V & SCVMM with 15,000 virtual systems. Consolidating from 7 servers to 2 servers in the store locations. Discussion of one application for the pharmacy runs SUSE Linux – in Hyper-V.
- Demo: Concero (code-named): Self service portal for the service consumer. Provisioning with Virtual Machines, services, clouds. This application appears to be built on a Silverlight based UI.
- Demo: SCVMM 2012 & OpsMgr 2012: Michael Michael & Vlad Joanovic (Principal Program Manager Lead – Server and Cloud Product Management). Showed the SCVMM option to build the cloud over Xen, ESX and Hyper-V. Showed how SCVMM can communicate with bare metal systems for provisioning. OpsMgr 2012: Showing the health of the fabric in a distributed application including network, hardware and storage. Showed monitoring for network devices out of the box in OpsMgr 2012 including the state of the network connection and a dashboard view with gauges of usage for the network devices. Displayed voltage, temperature and more on the hardware.
- Brad Anderson: We are seeing the results in the OpsMgr 2012 network monitoring from the integration of EMC and Smarts. (OpsMgr 2012 enhanced network monitoring is based upon the EMC Smarts acquisition.)
- SCVMM 2012 service template: Service templates include the information required to deploy a service which can be deployed via self service user portals. The example service demonstrated was using Server App-V.
- Demo: AVIcode in OpsMgr 2012: Demo showed the new Application Dashboard functionality showing topology, Service Level Objectives, Perspectives and alerts. Showed the integration with AVIcode and how the .NET application can be debugged to a root cause through AVIcode – breaking down the transaction to determine where the slowdown was through the stored procedure which caused the performance issue. Also showed how dashboards can be published to SharePoint. Additional background discussion on how Xbox Live uses OpsMgr and AVIcode to monitor their environment.