Moving the Operations Database
In earlier versions of OpsMgr, Microsoft provided instructions for moving the operational database to another database server (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917894 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297771). This information is not yet available for Operations Manager 2007, so we are providing the following steps:
- Stop all OpsMgr services on the Root Management Server. If you have multiple management servers, you will need to stop the services on those machines as well.
- Using SQL Server Management Studio, connect to the source database server and backup the OperationsManager database.
- Connect to the destination server and create Windows/AD SQL logins for the following OpsMgr accounts : SDK, MSAA, and DWWA.
- Copy the OperationsManager database backup file to the destination database server, and restore the database to the destination database server.
- Using SQL Server Management Studio on the destination database server, right-click on the OpsMgr SDK login and go to properties.
- In the properties for the Operations Manager account, go to the User Mapping page and click on the OperationsManager database. Ensure the following database roles have been assigned to the SDK account:
- Click OK.
- On the RMS and each of your management servers, open REGEDIT and browse to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Setup, update the string called DatabaseServerName to reflect the name of the new database server.
- Reboot the RMS and other management servers.
Many thanks to Kendra Thorpe of Vanderbilt University for helping with this information!