Here’s some more fun regarding OpsMgr 2007 reporting.
During a recent installation we forgot to do a double-check that the reporting piece of SQL Server 2005 was installed prior to installing the Operations Manager components. Unfortunately this was compounded (we were in a hurry to finish installation!) without verifying that we could browse to http://localhost/Reports.
After installing the reporting components, we opened the Operations console and received an error about getting to the reports. Trying to debug, we could not access http:localhost/Reports on the SQL Reporting Server – it showed "Service Unavailable." Same error with localhost/ReportServer.
Digging deeper, it was determined that the application pool was crashing and would stop, and then the Service Unavailable condition occured. A variety of ways were tried to get it online – including IISReset, ResetSRS, and even changing the application pool to run as a Network Service. Nothing worked. The following steps may be overkill, but this is what we did to get Reporting functional:
- Uninstalled the Operations Manager 2007 Reporting components including the Data Warehouse
- Ran ResetSRS on the system (on the installation media in the \supporttools folder, used the data warehouse reader account)
- Took the OperationsManagerDW database offline in SQL Management Studio
- Deleted the OperationsManagerDW mdf and ldf files from the file system
- In IIS, changed the application pool to run as Network Service
- Validated the ability to successfully browse to both localhost/Reports and localhost/ReportServer
- Re-installed the Operations Manager 2007 Reporting components including the Data Warehouse
- Re-validated abiilty to browse successfully to localhost/Reports and localhost/ReportServer
- The installation of the OpsMgr reporting components was complete, but there were no reports listed under the reporting piece. However, the reporting tab was now available in the Operations console
- Rebooted the RMS server and left the system running over-night
- The next morning the reports were available from the Operations Console.