- Installed FCS on its own server; this installs a MOM 2005 instance that is tuned and dedicated to managing FCS alerts.
- Deployed the FCS Client on five target servers in an OpsMgr 2007 management group using the /NOMOM switch to not install the MOM 2005 agent component along with the FCS client.
- Located the FCS managemnet pack (in the MOM 2005 binary AKM format) on the FCS server.
- Copied the MP2XMP.exe "Convert Management Packs to XML" utility from the MOM 2005 SP1 Resource Kit to the FCS server.
- Ran the MP2XML utility and created a MOM 2005 XML-formatted management pack (i.e. MOM 2005 AKM format to MOM 2005 XML format).
- Copied the newly created MOM 2005 XML management pack to the OpsMgr 2007 management server.
- Ran the MPConvert.exe utility on the OpsMgr 2007 server and created a "converted" XML management pack.
- Used the OpsMgr 2007 console Administration space to import the converted management pack.
Importing the converted MP was a success and created a "Microsoft Forefront Client Security" folder in the OpsMgr 2007 console Monitoring space that included Alerts, State, and Task Status views. Within minutes the State view was correctly populated with the five target computers managed by OpsMgr 2007 where the FCS Client had been installed. While using OpsMgr 2007 to monitor FCS Clients provides only limited functionality compared to the original MOM 2005-based FCS solution now in beta, we were impressed with the error-free performance of the conversion and importing utilities and features.